Flash Fiction Fridays for February
Flash Fiction Fridays are back for the month of February, to ring in the arrival of the Knife Angel in Gloucester, as part of its National Anti-Violence tour, and the Knife Rose at the Heroines Quarter. Running alongside our free photo competition, Flash Fiction Friday is a chance for you to respond to the Knife Angel’s month in Gloucester, using the power of words. Each week, we’ll be using an image of the Angel or the Rose as a prompt for creative writing.
Friday 25th February
As the anti-violence month draws to a close, here’s the last flash fiction prompt for the month.
Create a piece of flash fiction – maximum 250 words – that includes the words “assault’, “respect” and “repeat”.
So What is Flash Fiction?
Flash Fiction is a very short story, ranging between six words to a 1000. Despite its brevity, flash fiction allows for plot and character development. For example, the six-word story For sale: baby shoes, never worn, attributed to Ernest Hemingway, conveys heightened emotions of loss and grief with the use of a few simple words.
So, for the month of February, we want to see your Flash Fiction pieces. They can be sad or funny, set anywhere, purely fictional or based on your own experience. And, of course, writing around the theme of anti-violence, is particularly welcome.
How to Participate
- Create a piece of flash fiction that includes the prompt words
- Maximum 250 words, excluding the title
- You can submit as many times as you like
- Submit as an attachment to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will be posting them on our social media throughout February, so please mention your social media handles in your document, and whether you would be happy for us to post your pieces and tag you
- We’ll print out the submissions and display them on the Creative Canvas in the Eastgate Centre alongside the images from the photo competition
- A selection will also be published on our website
While we wait for the angel’s arrival and the first pictures to come in, we have a warm-up exercise to get us going.
Create a piece of flash fiction – maximum 250 words – that includes the words ‘knife’, ‘angel’ and ‘rose’.
Friday 3rd February
The angel and rose are here! This week’s prompt is …
Create a piece of flash fiction – maximum 250 words – that includes the words ”metal, ‘wings’ and ‘flight’.
Friday 10th February
In response to some of the creative work we’re seeing, this week’s prompt is …
Create a piece of flash fiction – maximum 250 words – that includes the words ‘rose’, ‘pink’ and ‘instant’.
Friday 17th February
Today, Gloucester is wearing purple for Hollie, so this week’s prompt is …
Create a piece of flash fiction – maximum 250 words – that includes the word ‘purple’ and as many synonyms of ‘purple’ as you like.