- Looking closer at the two images above, examine details such as textures, materials, repetition of patterns, colours and lines.
- What’s the mood of the installation? Is it calm, dramatic, cold, mysterious, controlled, chaotic, lifeless, warm, joyful, luxurious, comfortable, soft, harsh…?
- How has this atmosphere been created?
- Spend 3 minutes sketching what you see the second image. As you draw, think about the symbolism (connotations and associations) of different objects in the installation.
- Drawing arrows to the objects, write a few words describing what they make you think of, or feel.
- So far, any ideas?…what do you think this artwork is about?
Images © Nobukho Nqaba
Black Heroines is supported by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea’s Black History Month Grants Scheme